Wife’s Legionnaires’ Disease Death Linked to White Mountain Hotel Stay: A woman from Merrimac, Massachusetts, died from Legionnaires’ disease just one week after staying at the Mountain View Grand Resort in Whitefield, according to her family.
Richard Kruschwitz told me that his wife Barbara Kruschwitz died in October. She was 71 years old.
The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services said on Friday that two people who stayed at the resort had been diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease.
Massachusetts Man Claims Wife’s Legionnaires’ Disease Death Linked to White Mountain Hotel Stay
One person had died, and the second person, who was from Rhode Island, was taken to the hospital.
He said she had gone swimming and used the hot tub at the lodge, but he hadn’t.
He told her that Barbara was a physical therapist who loved her three sons and do yoga.
He said that he thinks more should have been done to keep someone else from getting sick after his wife died.
“Seeing that now that two people are sick makes it harder to understand.” “That’s not okay,” Kruschwitz said. “You don’t want other people to go through what I did.”
He is still shocked that he lost his wife.
Kruschwitz said, “Her heart had stopped, and she couldn’t be brought back to life.” “And — that’s about as much as I can say.”
Last week, the health department began a probe at the lodge.
The hot tub is no longer working.
People in charge don’t know yet if these cases have anything to do with the resort’s water system.
“We want to let people know that there may be a source for the exposure at this resort, which is why we know about it.” “We haven’t found anything yet,” said state pathologist Dr. Benjamin Chan.
Bacteria called Legionella cause the disease and can get into water lines. If you breathe in water droplets from baths, hot tubs, or taps, health officials say you could get sick.
People who have Legionnaires’ disease get fevers, coughs, shortness of breath, headaches, body aches, and pneumonia. Most of the time, the signs show up two to fourteen days after contact.
People who are older, have weak immune systems, or smoke are usually more likely to get it. Pneumonia is the worst kind of illness. Chan told his friends to be on the lookout for signs, especially if they have really bad pneumonia symptoms like fever, cough, and shortness of breath.