The Indian government announced the launch of Operation Ajay to bring back Indians stranded in Israel amid the war-torn situation in the country following the terror attack by Palestine-based group Hamas. Around 230 Indians are expected to be brought back from Israel on Friday in a chartered flight under Operation Ajay, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
India launched operations to facilitate the return of Indians who want to return home as a series of attacks on Israeli cities by Hamas militants over the weekend sparked fresh tensions in the region. External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said at a media briefing on Thursday that the chartered flight is expected to reach Tel Aviv this evening and will bring back the first batch of about 230 Indians on Friday. “We are monitoring the situation closely,” he said.
On Hamas attacks on Israeli cities, Bagchi said that India considers these as terrorist attacks. Responding to a question on India’s position on the Palestine issue, he said New Delhi has always advocated the resumption of direct negotiations with Israel for the establishment of a sovereign, independent and viable State of Palestine living at peace.
The Indian government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed its staunch support towards the Israeli government following the continuous attacks by Hamas that have killed over 1200 people in Israel so far, with the death toll still rising.
Palestine-based terrorist group Hamas launched a terrorist attack against Israel on October 6, launching 5,000 rockets into the country and seizing their Iron Dome defence system. The multi-pronged attack saw Hamas fighters entering from land and water and firing missiles from the air.